Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My bluegrass roots are showing...

I had a blast playing in church Sunday. I dusted off an old hymn called "Brethren We Have Met to Worship" and did a little acoustic thing with it. I heard a killer arrangement to this song from Bard Millard's "Hymned Again" collection and couldn't resist taking a crack at. So I drug my band's guitartist, Brandon Montgomery in on it to do some rythymn work and we also recruited his wife, Libby for that classic alto harmony that makes bluegrass ring. Well, thank the Lord, we pulled it off and it was a real blessing to us. I grew up on Appalachian music so this stuff kind of falls out of me naturally, but I peppered in "I'll Fly Away" and an original arrangement of "What a Friend We Have in Jesus, Sweet By and By, and Old Rugged Cross" and it was a nice little set for our worship time at Linworth. I think we made some friends with the senior folks in our church who get a little tired of the contemporary stuff, and it was an honor to get to do it!

No comments: